Total Pageviews

Tuesday 28 September 2010

Week 2

So the builders came as promised yesterday. It was very busy here all day, with lots of banging and cups of tea. They have put up the framework for the hip to gable roof (covered in blue tarp in picture below, this will be our new roofline), and the dormer is going in tomorrow, weather permitting.
I am sure the builder thinks I am such a fussy cow (which I am). The plans specify a polycarbonate dome in the dormer roof to let light in to the landing. While I agree it is important to let light in, I am not keen on a plastic dome. The builder asked me 'Can I ask why you don't like polycarbonate domes' I replied, 'Because I don't like the sound of rain on them and they get all dull and scratched' (which is true). He gave me a look of , 'Oh, ok....'. So I have been researching alternatives and have found this.








Much more attractive than a polycarb dome don't you think?? The rooflight will measure 1000 x 1500 and hopefully let in lots of light to the stairwell. We won't be having the dodgy halogen circle around the rooflight though!! I guess they wanted to draw attention to it!!!

As this option comes up as considerably more than the polycarb dome, we are having to 'tweak' the budget. One of the things that will have to be 'trimmed' is the flooring. The elements 7 flooring that I posted earlier (I should probably insert a link here to it, but cannot figure out how to do it) is just so expensive. I do think the roof lantern is more 'bang for the buck', so I we are going for that, and I am now on the hunt for some lovely flooring for the space that is going to cost less than £1500! I still really want grey stained oak, so I am flirting with the idea of getting some unsealed oak boards and experimenting with stain. This makes me VERY nervous! Yet again, I find myself wishing for endless pots of cash. Sadly, as usual, I have champagne tastes and a lager budget....

2 comments:

  1. I hope there's still money in the budget for the carrera marble ensuite? Did you have any luck doing the stain test on the sample marble? Hope it all goes well with the builders - ours finished up last week so we are just decorating now - the end is in sight...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia!! Great to hear from you. Yes, still money left for the marble in the loft shower room. The sample is absolutly fine, so we are going to go ahead. I will do a post about it in the next few days. It is pouring as I type, and I am just trying to work up the courage to go upstairs to check for leaks!! Glad to hear that your end is in sight, I am afraid I can't see ours for all this rain!!
    xx
    AO

    ReplyDelete